A large part of the work we do here at Friday Harbor Holistic Health is aimed at helping people regain their health by educating them. Information is power, and no information is more important than information that helps save lives or avert disease. Which is why we are presenting you with this latest post.
Twin Pillars of Cancer Protection: D3 and Melatonin
1) VITAMIN D3
Much has been written recently about the broad range of benefits of Vitamin D3. D3 helps maintain a healthy emotional state; it is vital for bone health (by directing calcium and other nutrients into the bone matrix); it is a vital nutrient for the human immune system; and it also has cancer protective properties. Studies have shown that keeping one’s Vitamin D3 levels high lowers the risks of cancer.
D3 actually functions more like a hormone. Since it comes to us directly from exposure to sunlight, we can call D3 the sunlight hormone. If our exposure to sunlight is restricted (whether through living in northern latitudes, use of sunscreens or failure to spend sufficient time out of doors) our relationship with the sun and its primary hormone is cut. Which is why most of us will need to take D3 as a supplement. Health professionals will obviously differ in their estimation of the appropriate amount of D3 to take, ranging from 1,000 IU to 20,000 IU daily. Many will recommend 5,000 IU. However, it is important to have your levels checked. Optimal levels should be > 70ng.
Melatonin is a hormone produced in the pineal gland, and is essential for sleep. It helps regulate our circadian rhythms. Many people, of course, purchase melatonin as a supplement to combat insomnia. In general it will work better for middle aged or older persons, as we tend to produce less of it as we age.
However, few people realize that melatonin, like D3 offers powerful protection against cancers, especially prostate and estrogen positive breast cancers. A number of recent studies have correlated higher rates of prostate and breast cancers with people working night shifts. Melatonin levels appear to be the key factor here. For example, a new study put out by the Harvard School of Public Health demonstrated a 75% reduced risk for advanced prostate cancer amongst men who had higher levels of melatonin.
In brief, disrupted sleep patterns will lower our endogenous production of melatonin and interfere with our circadian rhythms.
Taking sleep medications will not improve things either: the Harvard study found that melatonin levels were actually the lowest amongst men taking sleeping pills.
Conclusion: if you are having trouble sleeping and your doctor prescribes you sleeping pills, your chances of getting advanced prostate cancer increase significantly.
Biophotons: we are made of light and dark
In my book, The Power of Letting Go, I refer to light as the primary carrier of information in cellular physiology: ” … research by German physicist Dr. Fritz Albert Popp has demonstrated that our cells actually communicate with each other using photons – in other words, pulses of light generated from within the body. This bio-photonic mode of intercellular communication appears to be more primary than the bio-chemical route.”
At the same time, contemporary astro-physics has determined that only 4% of the known universe is made of atoms, the other 96% being made up of dark matter (30%) and dark energy (66%). This shows us even more powerfully how darkness itself is part of the deep fabric of our surrounding reality and therefore of our bodies and our health requirements.
So what to do?
Practical steps: you can get your levels of D3 checked, and levels of melatonin metabolite 6-sulfatoxymelatonin can be checked in early morning urinalysis.
Or, you can supplement without testing. You are strongly advised to consult with a qualified health professional before doing so.
At a deeper level, you begin to understand your body’s relationship with nature: with the cycles of light and dark. We need both to be healthy. By cutting off or interfering with the body’s relationship with the night-day cycle and with the right amounts of exposure to sunlight and to true darkness, we injure ourselves, perhaps fatally. The new research is showing us how cancer itself is directly related to our unnatural consumption of light and dark.
Melatonin is the night-time hormone, just as D3 is the day-time, or sunlight hormone. Being exposed to light at night can directly interfere with the functioning of the pineal.
Light and dark are really nature’s super nutrients that the body requires in equal measure to remain healthy.
For consultations or customized trainings on how to preserve optimal health equilibrium, please check out our current classes and workshops, or email us with inquiries at firstname.lastname@example.org