For those people who would like to receive the wonderful physical benefits of yoga but who, whether through infirmity, age, injury or illness, are unable to attend our classes, we offer private yoga therapy sessions in our clinic. In this safe, professional environment, the therapist will work with the client’s body, gently enhancing circulation, opening up the joints, and stretching out muscles and connective tissue.
Please note that our Yoga Therapy techniques can be blended with our Joint Mobility techniques and Qi Gong therapy techniques in whatever combination is most beneficial for the individual client.
Children with Special Needs
Our mission is to unfold the spirit in all children, regardless of age or ability. We believe that every child is “special” and that no label can define or limit the potential for positive change. Informed by science and enriched with compassion – this is a heartfelt, innovative approach to therapy. It is gentle and effective. We hope to provide parents and educators with a soulful, alternative way to support children in their care.
Katerina graduated from the advanced training program offered by Sonia Sumar (the creator of Yoga for the Special Child). A certified Waldorf teacher (from Antioch graduate school New England), Katerina has been teaching children for 25+ years. Over the years, she has refined her skills and developed state of the art techniques in this field. She has designed and taught programs assisting “special needs” educators and yoga therapists with her expertise. She is specialized in working with children with Downs Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, Autism, AD(H)D and other learning and developmental challenges.
Innovative approach includes:
- A step-by-step, integrated system of poses designed to improve cognitive and motor skills in children with learning and developmental disabilities
- Specialized breathing exercises and de-stress techniques to increase concentration and reduce hyperactivity
- An early intervention program to promote the healthy formative development of infants and toddlers
- Instruction on setting up a personal program for your special child
- Parent education and support in cultivating a special childhood
Healing effects of Yoga Therapy:
- Increases attention span and concentration
- Helps fine motor coordination, visual-motor and auditory processing
- Improves muscle tone and balance
- Promotes flexibility and correct postural alignment
- Relieves respiratory ailments
- Assists digestive regulation
- Increases emotional stability and self-esteem
- Promotes an overall sense of calm and well-being